Below are a list of my publications, including peer-reviewed journal articles, opinion pieces, book reviews, technical reports, and extension products, as well as my professional presentations. You can also check out my Google Scholar profile.
- Eitzel, MV; Mhike Hove, E; Solera, J; Madzoro, S; Changarara, A; Ndlovu, D; Chirindira, A; Ndlovu, A; Gwatipedza, S; Mhizha, M; Ndlovu, M. (2018) “Sustainable Development as Successful Technology Transfer: Empowerment Through Teaching, Learning, and Using Digital Participatory Mapping Techniques in Mazvihwa, Zimbabwe.” Development Engineering. (3) 196-208.
- Eitzel, M. V.; Cappadonna, J. L.; Santos-Lang, C.; Duerr, R. E.; Virapongse, A.; West, S.E.; Kyba, C. C. M.; Bowser, A. E.; Cooper, C. B.; Sforzi, A.; Metcalfe, A. N.; Harris, E. S.; Thiel, M.; Haklay, M.; Ponciano, L.; Roche, J.; Ceccaroni, L.; Shilling, F. M.; Dörler, D; Heigl, F.; Kiessling, T.; Davis, B. Y.; Jiang, Q. (2017) “Citizen Science Terminology Matters: Exploring Key Terms.” Citizen Science: Theory and Practice. 2(1), p.1. DOI: 10.5334/cstp.96 (Correction: http://doi.org/10.5334/cstp.113)
- Sarna-Wojicki, D.; Perret, M.; Eitzel, M. V.; Fortmann, L. (2017) “Where are the Missing Co-authors? Authorship Practices in Participatory Research.” Rural Sociology, 82:4, 713-746. (Version in French in Revue d’anthropologie des connaissances)
- Eitzel, M. V.; Kelly, M.; Dronova, I.; Valachovic, Y.; Quinn-Davidson, L.; Solera, J.; de Valpine, P. (2016) “Challenges and opportunities in synthesizing historical geospatial data using statistical models.” Ecological Informatics 31, 100-111.
- Eitzel, M. V.; Battles, J.; York, R.; de Valpine, P. (2015), “Can’t see the trees for the forest: complex factors influence survival in a temperate second-growth forest.” Ecosphere. 6:11, 1–17. DOI: 10.1890/ES15-00105.1 (Erratum: 10.1002/ecs2.1423)
- Andrade, K.; Corbin, C .; Diver, S.; Eitzel, M. V.; Williamson, J.; Brashares, J.; Fortmann, L. Authors contributed equally. (2014), Finding your way in the interdisciplinary forest: notes on educating future conservation practitioners. Biodiversity and Conservation. 23:14, 3405-3423.
- Eitzel, M. V.; Battles, J. ; York, R.; Knape, J.; de Valpine, P. (2013) Estimating Tree Growth Models from Complex Forest Monitoring Data. Ecological Applications. 23:6, 1288–1296. DOI: 10.1890/12-0504.1 (Erratum: 10.1002/eap.1424)
- Hallett, L. M.; Diver, S.; Eitzel, M. V.; Olson, J. J.; Ramage, B. S.; Sardinas, H.; Statman-Weil, Z.; Suding, K. N. (2013), Do We Practice What We Preach? Goal Setting for Ecological Restoration. Restoration Ecology. 21: 312–319.
- Eitzel, M. V.; Diver, S.; Sardinas, H.; Hallett, L. M.; Olson, J. J.; Romero, A.; Oliveira, G. de L. T. ; Schuknecht, A. T.; Tidmore, R.; Suding, K. N. (2012) Insights from a Cross-Disciplinary Seminar: 10 Pivotal Papers for Ecological Restoration. Restoration Ecology 20:2, 147-152.
- Zhang, X.; Liu, X.; Zhang, M.; Dahlgren,R. A.; M.V. Eitzel. (2010) “A Review of Vegetated Buffers and a Meta-analysis of Their Mitigation Efficacy in Reducing Nonpoint Source Pollution” Journal of Environmental Quality, 39:1, 76-84.
- Tanimoto, T.; Eitzel, M.; Yano, T. (2008) “The Noise Cross-Correlation Approach for Apollo 17 LSPE Data: Diurnal Change in Seismic Parameters in Shallow Lunar Crust” Journal of Geophysical Research-Planets 113 (e8): E08011.
Technical Reports, Conference Proceedings, Software, & Book Reviews
- Eitzel Solera, MV, Neves, K T, Solera, J, Wilson, K B, Mawere Ndlovu, A, Fisher, A C, Veski, A, Omoju, O E, Mhike Hove, E. (2018, June 19). “Zimbabwe Agro-Pastoral Management Model (ZAPMM): Musimboti wevanhu, zvipfuo nezvirimwa” (Version 1.0.0; peer-reviewed). CoMSES Computational Model Library. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25937/ta23-sn46
- Eitzel, M.V.; Kelly, M.; Quinn-Davidson, L. “Lessons Learned in Historical Mapping of Conifer and Oak in the North Coast.” In press. Proceedings of the seventh California oak symposium: Managing Oak Woodlands in a Dynamic World. (USFS GTR-PSW-251)
- Cohn, A.S.; Eitzel, M.V.; Fiorella, K.J.; Geoghegan, C.; Gupta, A. C.; Kelley, L.C.; Seto, K.L. (2012) Book Review, “Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies: A Primer,” by Gunilla Oberg. Quarterly Review of Biology 87:3, 247-248.
- Eitzel, M. V.; Moresco, A.; Kitzes, J. (2012) “Lindsay Wildlife Museum: Hospital Effectiveness for Treatment of Mourning Doves.” Lindsay Wildlife Museum. Internal Report, available upon request.
- Eitzel, M.; Grogan, K.; Zhang, X.; Steinmann, K.; Watson, T.; Zhang, M. (2010) “Agricultural Pesticide Best Management Practices Report: A Final Report for the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board.” Technical report.
- Hurt, D.; Eitzel, M.; Scalettar, R.; Batrouni, G. (2006) “Analysis of the Blume-Capel model with the Wang-Landau algorithm.” In Computer simulation studies in condensed-matter physics XVIII. Vol. 105, 101-106, Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Valachovic, Y.; Varner, M.; Giusti, G.; Standiford, R.; Kelly, M.; Quinn-Davidson, L.; Eitzel, M.V.; Schriver, M.; Lee, C.; McGown, K.; Potts, M. “UC ANR 8000 Series publication: Ecology and Management of Oregon White Oak and California Black Oak.” In preparation for University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Eitzel, M.V. (2015) “How-To Guides on Mapping and Computer Use.” For The Muonde Trust research team. Available upon request.
- Eitzel, M.V. (2014) “SNAMP Pub #20: Estimating tree growth from complex forest monitoring data” Sierra Nevada Adaptive Management Project, Research Brief.
- Eitzel, M.V. (2014) “Guaranteeing the Future of Cooperative Extension: A training program for graduate students.” Association of Natural Resources Extension Professionals, Winter Newsletter.
- Eitzel, M.V. and restoration ecology graduate seminar students. (2012) Restoration Ecology Blog, publicly-accessible companion website for “Insights from a Cross-Disciplinary Seminar: 10 Pivotal Papers in Ecological Restoration.: Nearly 100 reviews of scholarly articles on restoration ecology, written by seminar participants, organized and formatted for the public by M.V. Eitzel.
- Eitzel, M.V. (2009-2010) “Speaker Series Summaries of the Berkeley Chapter of the Indigenous Mapping Network.” Summaries reproduced with permission under “Outreach.”
- “Mapping Indigenous Water Governance and Colonial Legacies in the Lower Klamath, California.” (With Sibyl Diver) Oral Presentation, American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting (2018)
- “Situated Modeling: Applying a Modeler’s Manifesto to Collaborative Data Science in Rural Zimbabwe.” Invited talk, UC Berkeley Geography Department Colloquium (2018)
- “Tracking California Buckeye Phenology using Citizen Science Observations from Nature’s Notebook.” California Naturalist Program Regional Rendezvous (Invited lightning talk (2017)
- “Sustainability from the Ground Up: Successful Teaching, Learning, and Using Digital Mapping Technology in Mazvihwa, Rural Zimbabwe.” Lightning Talk, Geospatial Analysis for International Development Symposium (Geo4Dev), UC Berkeley (2017)
- “Collaborative Modeling of Long-term Community-based Research Data in Rural Zimbabwe.” Oral Presentation, Citizen Science Association Biennial Meeting (2017)
- “Big Data in ecology: a modeler’s manifesto.” Oral Presentation, American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting (2017)
- “Examining the Resilience of Crop Production, Livestock Carrying Capacity, and Woodland Density in a Rural Zimbabwean Socio-Ecological System Using Agent-Based Models Representing Human Management Decisions.” Poster Presentation, American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting (2016)
- “Successful Teaching, Learning, and Use of Digital Mapping Technology in Mazvihwa, Rural Zimbabwe.” Oral Presentation, American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting (2016)
- “Working with ‘found data’: using statistical, mathematical, and photogrammetric tools to gain new insights from long-term Californian forest datasets.” Invited Oral Presentation, California Academy of Sciences Biodiversity Lunch Series (2015)
- “Working with ‘found data’: using statistical, mathematical, and photogrammetric tools to gain new insights from long-term Californian forest datasets.” Invited Oral Presentation, San Francisco Estuary Institute Brown Bag Lunch Series (2015)
- “The Graduate Students in Extension (GSE) Program: Connecting talent between campuses and Cooperative Extension (CE).” Poster Presentation, University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Statewide Conference (2015)
- “Resilience and complexity in rural Zimbabwe: Understanding the dynamics of households through extended kinship networks.” Oral Presentation Santa Fe Institute Complex Systems Summer School (2015)
- “Resilience and complexity in rural Zimbabwe: Land-use planning for a feedback-rich system using agent-based modeling.” Oral Presentation, Santa Fe Institute Complex Systems Summer School (2015)
- “Lessons Learned in Historical Mapping of Conifer and Oak in the North Coast.” Oral Presentation, The seventh California oak symposium: Managing Oak Woodlands in a Dynamic World (2014)
- “Estimating Tree Growth Models from Complex Forest Monitoring Data” Invited Guest Lecture, Hierarchical modeling (ESPM 215) (2013)
- “Estimating tree growth models from complex forest monitoring permanent plot data” Oral Presentation, Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting, Portland (2012)
- “Modeling Tree Growth from Forest Inventory Data: Sophisticated Models for Complex Monitoring Data” Poster Presentation, Association of Natural Resources Extension Professionals Meeting (2012)
- “Something about statistics: Tree Growth from Forest Inventories” Oral Presentation, Blodgett Forest Research Conference (2012)
- “Are Blue Oak Populations in Decline? Assessing key vulnerabilities using integral projection modeling” Oral Presentation, Oak Woodland Conservation Workgroup Meeting, (2011).
- “Recovering shallow shear wave velocity structure in the Los Angeles basin by combining cross-correlation and Z/H ratio techniques” Oral Presentation, AGU Fall Meeting, (2006)
- “Recovering shallow shear wave velocity structure in the Los Angeles basin using cross-correlation techniques on 0.05 to 0.3 Hz seismic data from CISN” Poster Presentation, Southern California Earthquake Center Annual Meeting (2006)
- “Possible Links Between Ground Water Saturation and Rayleigh Wave Particle Motion in Microseisms: A Comparison of Data and Simulation for Seismic Stations in Southern California” Oral Presentation, AGU Fall Meeting, (2005)